Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Totally kicking ass in every way: Chick music and grunge

Jezebel recently posted an article about the video vixens of the 90s. I was so inspired by the style and attitude of these songs that I started listening to all of the Hole and Garbage I could get my grubby little hands on. It made me really miss genuine grunge; it made me miss female artists who were 90s-era Courtney Love gritty. Wearing little girl dresses that were stained and ripped. Dolls covered in mud and doc martens and red lipstick. I miss aggressive lyrics about womanhood and raw voices, things I never knew I loved until I realized that I felt like they were lacking in the current music scene.

But, I am not musical maestro. I am unaware of many bands that exist today that might fit the description I gave in the previous paragraph. I apologize for this gaffe, if it is indeed a gaffe. I do have the power, however, to embed music videos and get steeped in a 90s nostalgia that isn't exactly mine. When my ages ranged from 3-13 through the course of the 90s, I can only really lay claim to vintage Britney and N*Sync, sadly. I will just excuse myself by saying that my brother listened to practically all of this during his rebellious 90s youth (I'm going to embarrass him further by pointing out that he TOTALLY used to sport a rat-tail).

Without further ado, my vid pics for 90s vixens and ultimately AWESOME bitches:


Things that totally rock about this song: "They get what they want, and then they never want it again...." Hole. "Violet." 1994


Ah yes, Old Time Liz Phair before she sucked, yada yada yada. Loving the refences to Chicago in this one. Liz Phair. "Stratford on Guy." 1993.


It's funny because Pink has a single called "Stupid Girls" but I think this one accomplishes much more of what Pink was going for with that heinous song and video. Garbage. "Stupid Girl." 1995.


Quite the bitter song about a father not coming home to his child. Loving it. It makes me want to buy a pair of boots (but then again, what DOESN'T make me want to buy a pair of boots?). PJ Harvey. "C'mon Billy." 1995.


To be honest, it was hard to find a song by them I truly loved because Seether was a little too glossy sounding for me. This is pretty kick-ass though. Veruca Salt. "Volcano Girls." 1997.


No official video for this song on youtube, as far as I could tell. Sleater Kinney. "Little Babies." 1997.


Heck yes, Bikini Kill! Fucking STICK IT TO THE MAN. Bikini Kill. "Rebel Girls." 1993.



Doll parts has GOT to be my favorite girl angst 90s anthem. It is so epically bitter. Hole. "Doll Parts." 1994.

2 comments:

  1. O.M.G. This was a total stroll down memory lane for me. I just had a lil' scream along/dance session to this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hell yeah! Glad to hear it. I cannot get enough Hole in my life right now.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails