Thursday, June 18, 2009

s&k: the empire strikes

this blog is my first excursion into the blogosphere proper. i never thought that i would find myself with the time or desire to become one of these people, but it is a boring summer before the beginning of the rest of my life and i have been reading the new york times.

except that's a lie. i can barely get myself to read the new york times, except occasionally for sunday styles. that's where a lot of that sort of trite stuff tends to appear in that paper.

i wanted to start this blog per a conversation i had with my boyfriend earlier this year. it was a weird day and i was in an anxiously philosophical mood. sometimes the world seems so broken to me i can barely imagine how i am supposed to function in it. i staked the outrageous claim that everything was arbitrary--and i meant EVERYTHING--from the way we eat, dress, talk, sit, smoke, fuck, work. later i took it back but realistically, i still mean it. as i drive alone in my life, doing the arbitrary bullshit that is required of me at this stage in my life, i often return to the idea of social construction. The minimal basis of anthropology or current strains of feminist thought; we assign meaning, ergo life has meaning. Meanings, i should say. life has more meanings than one can track.

so i don't know how to introduce a blog but it deserves introduction and i'm starting it off with this post. i imagine at its best that it will be a flimm-flammery of pop culture, gender discussion, and overwhelming arbitrariness. At its worst, it will never leave this post, this month, or this year. But either way, i think it's a small chance and beacon of hope, if only for myself. Me carving out some small way to cope with the fact that there is a whole lot of stuff in this world that i will never have the choice or chance to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails