Sunday, February 28, 2010

Meta post on the internet and blogs

Last year was my senior year of college. I attended Oberlin College and took a class called Principles of New Media (Or Introduction to New Media, I can never remember which) that lasted both semesters. The first semester was more about photoshop and illustrator and some beginner internet; the second semester was purely dreamweaver and flash.

One day in class we had a discussion about the nature of the internet in terms of a social tool. We weren't even necessarily talking about social networking; many of the main points of the discussion dealt with whether or not it was a bad thing for one's entire social life to be on the computer. At the time I felt neutral about the whole discussion because I most definitely had a real life social life and didn't really spend that much time cultivating an online one.

Fast forward a year later, and I wish I knew then what I know now. I have been using the past six months to build my presence in the Jezebel commenter community and I have found it to be an invaluable tool in dealing with my spiral of depression post-graduation. I also have found keeping this blog itself has given me a sense of purpose and a place to organize my thoughts. Maybe I'm unclear as to what my professional aspirations should be; but at least I have this forum to write and develop ideas and stay intellectually on point.

My bottom line? Everybody should be part of an internet community of some sort. Finding the right community is a lot like choosing a college or making a real-life friend. You definitely have to sort through a lot of crap blogs and crap forums until you can find a place that is a good fit for you. But then, it opens up a whole new world! New people to hang out with, new ideas presented to you, a new support system! It's great.

I also think that the way society views the internet is totally wrong. It must be acknowledged that it is a realm unto itself and not an extension of real life. I'm not saying it doesn't cross over into real life or vice versa; it's just that it is entirely possible to live out an entire other life online, and I don't think that this choice should be a punishable offense. You may think many things about people who have their social lives online, but censure and pity should not be among them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails