Monday, June 21, 2010

Best of the 2010 World Cup Commercials

My parents were in town last weekend and they gave me World Cup Fever. When we weren't sitting at bars watching the games in High-Def, we were sitting around, watching youtube videos of old miraculous goals and World Cup commercials. Of the commercials they showed me, I decided to compile the ones I thought were best.

World Cup 2010 Bitchin' advertising campaigns:

Best overall advertisement: PUMA: Journey of Football. This commercial has heart; you'll laugh, you'll cry. Also, points for the best song and imagery pairing, like, ever.


Best joking use of historical rivalries: MTN: Two World Wars and One World Cup.
Nothing like reducing all of the world's history to a soccer joke. Did you guys get the memo? England won the world...twice!!! Sarcasm aside, this is pretty clever.


Best obligatory advertisement with famous sponsored players in a match together: Pepsi
Points lost for the fact that Kaka looks like a huge doofus in this commercial with his Dumb and Dumber hair. However, he's a total hottie in real life*


Best comedic advertisement: Nike: Write the Future
Things I have to say about this commercial: Rooney's beard when he's in the trailer park is hysterical; they routinely cut out the Gabriel Garcia Bernal part in the shortened version but it always gets me; Ronal*d'oh* is a pure stroke of genius; who the heck does Nike's ad campaigns? They really must be raking it in.

I also feel I should put an epilepsy warning on this one.


Best tearjerker commercial: Bravia
The first time I watched this commercial I burst into tears the minute the kids walked into the stadium.



* This is what Kaka REALLY looks like:

2 comments:

  1. oh god, I love that Nike one. I've only watched one game so far (USA vs. England... at Celtic knot, which was funny) but hopefully that will change soon. Wish they weren't at 1:30 in the dang afternoon!

    ooh, you should come to Evanston on Saturday and we can watch whatever one is playing after I get done working the market... we'll talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh that sounds awesome! Glad to know that you're still frequenting the blog. My family went to the Globe Pub for the US game and apparently there were so many people there that a news network came.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails